New Book on the reading deck: Peace Like A River

51cSlN8xfELOn the advice of Uber-faithful commenter and generally awesome friend and musical homie, Ann, I’ve taken the plunge.  I’m already transfixed a few chapters in.

This entry was posted in Books, Reading and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to New Book on the reading deck: Peace Like A River

1. Steve says:

Great book! The ending is interesting. No spolier from me!

2. Ann Ahrens says:

Quite possibly the best book I’ve ever read. And yes, Steve, the ending will BLOW you away. C.S. Lewis-esque.

3. Steve says:

I think it was his first book he had ever published, too.

4. Steve says:

Did you ever get to those other two Flannery O’Connor stories I recomended?

5. Steve says:

Which story did you read? She does dialogue about as well as anyone I’ve ever read. Her humor and cynicism are well done, too.

6. Steve says:

Good morning, Ron. Just wondering if you had ever read “A Canticle for Liebowitz,” by Walter Miller Jr., in your reading travels? It is post-apocalyptic sci-fi set in a Catholic monastery. I think you might enjoy it.

• Ron Giesecke says:

I have not. But it sounds really cool. I wonder if you’ve read any of the O’brien stuff–his catholic writing/novels are also quite intriguing.
      By the way, the Flannery story I will be starting over is “You Can’t Be Poorer Than Dead.”

7. Steve says:

“Canticle” is a great read and displays the futility of humans ever achieving Nirvana as futile. It roughly parallels the Dark Ages through the Modern Age of Western Civilization in a post-apocalyptic metaphor. It has some good humor in parts, and also uses the motif of the Wandering Jew, which adds to the intrigue of the novel. I have not read any of O’Brien’s stuff. So you already did one read through the Flannery story?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s